A New love


Schools in Uganda finally opened after two years of lockdown. We witnessed so many mixed feelings from both the learners and parents too,     as learners shared a bountiful on covid 19 and its impact: from missing their friends to learning house chores and adjusting to online classes. Parents or caretakers, on the other hand, were scared of the unknown and kept grumbling amidst themselves,  What if we pay the school fees and a lockdown is announced again...hmm

January came with a lot, settling into the new year, parents running about to shop and bank,  learners having to readjust to the new school routine, schools registering low -high turn-ups, teachers quitting the profession and some being so overwhelmed with the numbers.

In our search for how schools were copying up with the new normal,  we got to know about Nkono memorial school, a UPE school in Namutumba District through Catherine Kantono. Catherine unfolds the cries of this government school.



Hey Catherine, a quick one, how did you land in Nkono Memorial school?

I successfully applied to be a fellow at Teach for Uganda, a nonprofit organization enabling all children in Uganda to access quality education. The program runs for two years.


Walk us through the first month of teaching those little souls? 

When I set foot in my primary one class to teach numeracy and English, I was left wide-eyed due to the vast number of learners. 


For the first month, I had to handle 244 children single-handedly with minimal support from my co-fellow. 

Our school was understaffed, the workload was at its peak, I was always fatigued, I struggled with getting a comfortable place to live in, and the school team was not in a position to do so since Nkono memorial school does not have staff quarters. At times, I thought of giving up as a better choice but the passion to teach and the encouragement I got from a few parents I had interacted with grounded me.


What has been your most breaking point as a teacher?

 It is sad to see so many learners report for class every single day without scholastic materials, and dirty. Some come from impoverished homes that can't afford to pay their examination fees of only 2000UGX, many go without meals not even a cup of porridge.


Have you gone through any experiences that triggered your love for children?

 I became a young mother under my parent's roof.
Society expects that once one completes school, the next chapter is getting a well-paying job and a stable marriage. This was not the case for me after I completed my undergraduate studies. 

This kind of environment affected my mental health and got me into countless episodes of suicidal thoughts. I felt unloved, unappreciated, and betrayed. 

Teaching was my therapy, I decided to extend all the love I was denied to vulnerable children. As a teacher handling many children with lots of individual needs,  I have devoted my entire self to welcoming and loving these learners unconditionally, 

What keeps you going?

I have realized that I do not need to be these children's biological mum to make a difference in their lives.

Every day, as I walk into my classroom, I take with me the character of a doting mother and that of a teacher who is willing to go an extra mile to ensure these children succeed both academically and in the environment outside school.

From, the time you began teaching the children, what impact have you registered?

Most of the children did not know basic words like  "how are you" at least, some can speak a  few simple English words which were initially difficult for them.

What message do you have for the people that will read your story?.

The world needs a generation of young people who are you and me that will provide solutions to unprecedented challenges. If not you, then who? May my story cause you to have a heart for service for people who are not in any way related to you.

Why do we love this story?

This is a story of resilience and selflessness, Catherine left behind all her comforts, and embarked on a journey to an unfamiliar destination seeking to be a solution to the lives of children she holds no attachment to. . You are a powerhouse Thank you, Catherine.

We are currently running a campaign as the Tell a Story Foundation to make school a comfortable place for these children.

You can consider volunteering to teach reading or writing and setting up an Uji or food bank program for these children.

Contact us at +256707252476 or +256778908956 to support this cause.




Comments

  1. Thank you Catherine Kantono for the resilience. Super proud of you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Cathy. Life can only be meaningful and purposeful when devote to making better for others who can't do it on their own

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not every day that we get to hear the tales told with the perspectives of the learners ( who should and must always comes first) in mind. Inspite of the challenges presented by the community, and the school as an institution - you are still carrying on to ensure a smile on the face of the young ones. Kadima. I am certain you'd do the same in any field and environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have extended enormous love to these little ones, this world needs more people like you.
    So glad I meet you with these little ones, I could clearly see the love, empathy and admiration you had for had for them
    I just can't wait to be a part of your campaign.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What makes your heart sing?

Set the world on fire

Road to Recovery